Heart Health Program for Veterans
The Heart Health Group program runs for 12 months and is usually delivered in groups of approximately 10-15 eligible participants. The group of participants meet at our clinic on a weekly basis for group physical activity sessions and monthly educational workshops. Our exercise physiologists facilitate a structured program designed to allow each participant to work at their own pace to develop positive lifestyle changes and healthy habits with exercise.
In the late 1990’s a survey and study of current health concerns and health issues affecting the veteran population was undertaken. A main take away from the study was that the veteran population faced a 15% higher chance of developing heart disease compared to the general population of the same age when considering the risk factors that increase the chances of developing heart disease.
In response the Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA) designed the Heart Health Program to assist participants (Returned Veterans’) to develop a healthy lifestyle. Started in the early 2000’s, the goal of the program is to improve health and wellbeing via the development of self-management strategies. Strategies that can be relied upon to assist participants to continue to self-manage their own health, fitness and wellbeing in a general sense well into life. Importantly the program also provides participants with opportunities for social interaction and networking.
The Heart Health Program for Veterans program involves
- Two Weekly Group Exercise Sessions delivered by a qualified and experienced health and fitness professional who is dedicated to your group.
- One Monthly Health Education Workshop delivered at the same facility and by the same health and fitness professional, on topics such as setting healthy goals, nutrition and healthy eating, physical activity, chronic conditions, quitting smoking, responsible alcohol consumption, back care, stress management and maintaining a healthy heart.
- A Participant Manual with 12 health education modules containing useful material and information to use for your learning during the program and as a reference after you have completed the program.
- Custom Food Diary reviews and recommendations provided by a Nutritionist at various stages throughout the program with useful tips and ideas for improving your diet to assist in achieving your health goals.
- Continued program support provided by the program’s providers, Corporate Health Management, and our dedicated team working to make your time in the program as beneficial as possible.
- An Achievement Certificate is awarded once you have successfully completed the program and all requirements at the end of the 12 months.
To register your interest in the program you can contact us or complete the online form.